23 March, 2010

Gag Goes Open Source

Its been a loooong time since I update my blog. I've been busy studying last year, and working after that. Now that I'm free, I have more time to continue what i have started long ago.

First, i wanna talk about what happen to me. I'm a WindowsⓇ for almost, in entire time of my life. I find Windows is great, and its free (for me who has always been loyally used pirated copy of Windows since.. emm.. Windows 98..). Yeah its been a disease that spread in my country (Indonesia) rapidly, and its commonly used from home to office, from little kid to government. So the one who dont use windows become minority and treated like total geek (or an alien), except for mac users. Windows has support for lot of superb softwares like adobe family, 3ds Max, lots and lots of games with state of art graphic and gameplay. I use adobe family, Max, games like warcraft 3, mass effect, assassins creed etc, (cracked version) and its been great :D.. Until I got enlightened (and got bored), that pirating software is a bad things.

I've been observing linux developement since RedHat still free of charge. I'm introduced to linux since i'm 15 by my brother whose an IT guy. I think linux is nice that time but doesnt provide enough support for graphic design (since im a graphic artist). So, I dont use it that time. I remember i use mandriva 2007 as my side OS for playing. But the things that draw me back from migrating to linux is the dependencies hell. At that time, there already a lot of graphic tools for me that is production ready, such as Blender, Gimp, and Inkscape. Until I meet ubuntu :). First taste of ubuntu i try was the Ubuntu Breezy Badger, which i got the CD from free shipping program, and its free :). But, it doesnt support lot of hardware (no sound for my PC). Then i've been jumping from one linux distro to another.

I'm a full time linux user and part time Windows user right now, and I'm proud about it. Why switching to linux now? because now i have my own internet connection to solve the dependencies hell that inherited by linux. The great things about linux (I'm using Ubuntu by the way) is how easy to add and remove programs with internet connection :). Here, check out my desktop:


I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala. And here is my tools:
- Compiz for windows manager (Comparable to Aero, but more advance)
- Avant windows navigator (dock tools, like on mac, or objectdock, or rocketdock)
- Blender for 3D
- Inkscape for vector editor
- The GIMP for Image / Raster editor
- Ardour for sound editing
- Audacity for sound editing

0 comments: